Edit PDF files on Mac
Basically, you do not need any additional program to edit a PDF file on the Mac. Because most of the basic functions are already available in the Mac’s preview function. You can find out how this works in this computer tip.
Edit PDF on Mac with the preview function
OS X includes a tool called Preview that you can use to edit PDF files easily. But the free Adobe Reader also offers you some basic functions with which you can edit your document.
- Right-click your PDF document and go to “Open With”> “Preview”.
- Click on the pencil symbol in the top bar. A toolbar appears.
- You will now see various symbols above your PDF document. You can use the various tools to place markings or arrows in your document. You can also insert text or sign the document.
- However, you can also make some changes to the document with Adobe Reader.
- Depending on which Adobe Reader version you currently have loaded on your Mac, the functions may differ.
- In the top bar or in the sidebar on the right, you can access some functions that help you to edit your document.
- For example, you can insert comments, mark a text or insert a signature.
- In order to be able to use all functions of Adobe Reader, you have to get the paid version. The price is just under 90 euros.
- You can also use free tool such as AnyPDF. This allows you to mark texts, insert comments and sign pdf documents.
- You can also use the Scribus layout program for your PDFs. Scribus fulfills the same functions as InDesign. It is very easy to edit your PDFs. However, the handling of the software takes some getting used to.
Insert pages from another PDF file
If you want to insert individual pages from another document into a PDF file, proceed as follows:
- Open both documents in “Preview”. Click on the left icon in the bar and select “Thumbnails” from the flyout menu. The sidebar opens.
- Drag the page you want to insert from the sidebar of one document to the other and release it at the desired location.
- If you want to move several pages at the same time, you can select them and hold down the “Command key” and drag them together into the other document.
- Save the result with the key combination “cmd” + “S”.
- If you would like to integrate a complete PDF file into another, simply leave it closed and drag the document, for example from your desk, directly into the PDF sidebar.
Swap pages of PDF files on Mac
Exchanging pages within a PDF is also no problem with “Preview”.
- Simply drag the PDF to the desired location in the sidebar.
- Then simply save the result.
Delete individual pages from a PDF document
You can also delete individual pages in the PDF file. This is also child’s play with the “preview function”.
- To delete a page from a PDF, select it in the sidebar. You can also select several pages at the same time.
- Remove them with the backspace key (delete key).
- Alternatively, drag the pages to the trash or click on “Edit”> “Delete” in the menu bar.